Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Blog Post #3

The video What is Peer Editing? and the slideshow Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial teaches you almost everything you need to know in order to do a good peer review. They give numerous helpful tips and let you know the three most important steps to include in your peer edit: compliment, suggestion, and correction. People can sometimes take comments the wrong way which is why you should compliment the things they did right also. You need to compliment the work, and not just point out the errors. A simple compliment as " I really loved your topic" can change the whole tone of your post. Secondly, it is important to make suggestions. This means make suggestions to the writer on how to improve or make their writing better. For example, a suggestion would be " If you change your wording in the last sentence, it would make the sentence more clear." Lastly, make corrections on their work.These corrections could be about numerous difference things like punctuation, grammar, or spelling. Some good tips the slideshow provided was to be specific, positive, and to follow the three steps of complimenting,suggesting, and correcting. Be specific when you are peer editing so the writer knows exactly what to correct and how to make the writing better. Make sure to be positive when editing, so the writer knows you are trying to help and not embarrass them or say bad things about their writing. For a laugh and a few ways to see how not to peer edit check out the video Writing Peer Review Ten Mistakes. Also, It shows one person who is defensive which is another reason to stay positive!

When I am peer editing a writers work, I like to comment on the post. I feel as though it is more effective and it is easier to just scroll up and down to see the comments an corrections on the same page. I usually do not find many mistakes in the peer edits I have done, so I feel like a short comment is efficient. However, if a peer did have a post that was a complete mess, I would probably email them so I did not correct the whole post for everyone to see. I understand that people would not like everyone to see all the comments. I always try to say something good about the peers writing then make the corrections, so they realize I am not just interested in bringing up their errors.


 Correcting someones work

2 comments:

  1. Brittany,

    Good post! I don't have any else to say. You summarized the topic nicely and in your own words.

    ReplyDelete