Sunday, June 30, 2013

Blog Post #10

Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University. He was in the department of computer science and taught a class that made up virtual realities. It seemed very fascinating. His class consisted of small groups that were required to have five projects a semester, no books but just technology. His last lecture video, which is also a published, best seller book, is so inspirational. As a future teacher, I feel as though I learned a lot from him. I did not just feel as though I just learned how to teach or teaching methods from him, like a lot of other teachers I've watched. I learned more of how to really make a difference in a child's life and how to be a great teacher. I liked how he first told the audience and viewers about how he achieved his childhood dreams. He achieved something as small as winning large stuffed animals to being in zero gravity with NASA. I thought that really made a big impact. It shows that he was so set on making all of his childhood dreams come true, and that he had so much motivation to make it happen for him. Then, to make it happen for his students. He instilled motivation into his students to achieve their dreams, which is something important for teachers or professors. He had such a great outlook on life and was so upbeat in his last lecture. He only had a few months to live, but he portrayed to his students and others to enjoy life and not to fret about things you can not change. I liked how he paired his students together to work. He says in the video" Using video gamish technology to teach people useful things", he referred to this as edutainment. I thought it was great he could take something as simple as video games and combine with the fire department and other places and things to help and teach. I learned a lot about teaching from Randy. It ranged from how to have a great attitude towards life, your goals, and how to motivate students.


Randy Pausch

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I think you did a great job describing him as a teacher as well as your thoughts on his lecture. I tried to find something that could be improved but found nothing. I thought you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I enjoyed reading what you learned. Randy Pausch is such an inspirational person. I love what you took from his lecture. Maybe one day you will be that teacher who makes a big difference in a child's life by motivating them to dream BIG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very powerful statement. I hope you read it every year and put to work the things you have shared and the many other things about learning and education that Dr. Pausch shared with us in his "Last Lecture".

    I don't remember the "fire department." I'll have to look it up. I bring this up because this sentence "I thought it was great he could take something as simple as video games and combine with the fire department and other places and things to help and teach. " makes no sense to me. Please locate where in his speech this is addressed. Give me the minutes and seconds and i will listen again. This is not just a request but an assignment.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you go to the 50 minute mark and watch for about 10 seconds that's where he says they combined with the local fire department in New York.

    ReplyDelete